Monday, August 13, 2007

A Handful of Recommended Movies

I have a real problem with lists of the 100 best movies of all time. I've actually got two problems. First, the people who make these lists usually number them, as if the films can be numerically ordered. The second problem I have is that the lists are made by human beings who have personal biases, yet they claim that the films they say are best are literally and actually the best films ever, as if all viewers have the same identical tastes in film.

For these reason I cannot produce such a list. I have learned over the years that some films I like my family or friends may not like. And I've yawned through a few films that my friends said were great.

All that being said, I have quite a few films that I really do think are great. I have numbered a top ten list on my web site (http://www.enewman.biz/favorites.html) but it is really not a valid list because on any given day I can look at that list and think of another film that should be on the list. Oh well, c'est la vie.

If you are looking for ideas as regards what to watch next, here are some films I'd recommend. None of these listed here are action films. None are mindless diversions. Each is somewhat unique and/or special in some way. It's my hope you will enjoy them as thoroughly as I have over the years.

Educating Rita, featuring stellar performances by Michael Caine and Julie Walters.
The Tenth Man, starring Anthony Hopkins and based on a great short novel by Graham Greene.
Trip to Bountiful, starring oscar winner Geraldine Page, with an absolutely fabulous "I wish I could write like that" screenplay by playwright Horton Foote.
Groundhog Day, with Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. Don't underestimate this film. Yes, it's hilarious but there is more here than meets the eye.
Woody Allen's Zelig is likewise both entertaining, but with a deeper aspect.
And finally, for this short list I mention About Schmidt, in which Jack Nicholson wrestles with the meaning of his life after retiring from an empty job that never lived up to the dreams of his youth.

If you like these, check out my website list for more of my favorite things.

No comments:

Popular Posts