Saturday, March 27, 2010

Early Drawings

After writing yesterday's post about "A Thousand Bad Drawings," I decided to check in my garage and see if I could find a folder with a few of my high school drawings. Sure enough I was able to put my hands on it and snapped a few representative photos of the drawings to share. Influences at the time included Salvador Dali and Hieronymus Bosch.

Bosch was a Dutch painter in the Brueghel era whose most widely known painting was a tryptich titled, The Garden of Earthly Delights. On the left panel Bosch depicted Paradise, with an Angel of the Lord (or God) blessing Eve before she is presented to Adam. The central panel was an enormously crowded painting of earthly activity with animals, fruit and a range of symbolic elements that at least one writer has called "erotic derangement that turns us all into voyeurs." The right hand panel, depicting hell, was used as the cover art for the American release of an early album by Deep Purple called The Book of Taliesen under the record label Tetragrammaton. This is how I came to discover Bosch, the artist... whose painting I found endlessly fascinating, and influence I have almost forgotten.

Here and elsewhere, click on imges to enlarge.

No comments:

Popular Posts