Monday, February 9, 2009

The Unfinished Stories of Richard Allen Garston

SHORT STORY MONDAY
This is the introduction to a much longer story which I will strive to faithfully share here...

The Unfinished Stories of Richard Allen Garston
by Ed Newman

The stories had been stored in boxes. A ledger indicated that there were 3,283 of them, plus more than five thousand fragments, some of which had been codified to identify their relationship with other manuscripts. Since none of the stories were complete, who is to say whether the five thousand fragments were not in themselves stories? That would make more than eight thousand stories.

Richard Allen Garston died in 1975 at age forty-seven, burned to death in a fire. There was no autopsy performed, for there seemed to be no call for one. No one appeared to benefit from his death. The last eighteen years of his life he had been a recluse, his source of income unknown. None of his works were ever published. If he was one of our century's great authors we'll never know, for his manuscripts, annotated and filed in boxes, were burned by his brother.

I discovered, or became aware of, Richard Allen Garston through a writer's group in Bedminster, New Jersey in the spring of 1990. The chief propagator of Richard Allen Garston mythology was a certain Horace Keane who, to everyone's dismay, never missed a meeting. Actually, it's a wonder the group didn't utterly disband and reconvene elsewhere. Keane was a science fiction writer who whose ideas were, I suspect, completely plagiarized, though no one would dare make the accusation to his face. Most writer's groups are a little too nice in that way.

You will note that I have not called it "our group" because I only attended sporadically, and for no more than six or eight months. The only function of these details is to share with you the events that set me on my quest.

Keane was one of the oldtimers of the group and, as already noted, the regular attender. To describe this man, or any of the others, would be a diversion from my main story so I will not take us down that path other than to say that the purpose of the group was to read to each other what we were working on.

When I first began attending the meetings, Horace Keane's stories and references to Richard Allen Garston appeared to be so exaggerated that I suspected Garston to be a fabrication. It was not until my fourth or fifth meeting that I met the modestly eccentric novelist and playwright Willson Willis who confirmed Garston's existence. (The pen name Willis wrote under is a household name which I am confident you would recognize.)

There was a lady at the meeting who was working on a tragic love story and Keane began suggesting that she wasn't going deep enough into the tragedy part of it, that she should really explore and develop more thoroughly the dark recesses of her characters' souls. Willis cut him off. "Oh stop it now. Her style is all lightness and air. Not every story has to be a Richard Allen Garston."

Right then I knew. And I wanted to know more about the man and his work.

After the meeting I asked Mr. Willis if we could go somewhere for a bite to eat. He assumed, naturally, that I was interested in talking about his own work and declined, suggesting that he was tired. His routine was to wake early, to be at his writing desk by four.

"I realize you are busy, but would it be possible to perhaps meet for lunch sometime then? I want to hear more about this Richard Garston that Mr. Keane keeps talking about."

As soon as I said the name Willis got a strange look in his eyes, as if he were making some calculations in his head. "Oh," he said. After a short pause, he added, "It's getting too late to go anywhere else. Why don't you just come to my place? Follow me home and we can talk in my den."

After tarrying a little while longer at the meeting, we escaped to our cars and I followed him home. For my readers who know the area, it is one of the nicer homes on Burnt Mills Road, not far from the polo field.

···
My name, which I should have told you at the outset, is John Urban. My wife, Lynn, is a high-powered executive with a well-known Fortune 50 firm headquartered here in Jersey. A few years ago, when I got downsized out of a copywriting position with a New York ad agency she suggested I take a sabbatical and write the novel I had always claimed was in me, a suggestion I was eager to oblige.

I found the project more challenging than I'd imagined but was gratified to have finished the book, Kill Them With Kindness, in under a year. But writing was easy compared to the task of finding a publisher. Even with an agent. Even with New York contacts.

My second novel hasn't gone so well. It may be that I have been distracted with my efforts to find a home for the first. Or it may be, though I refuse to believe it, that I am tapped out. My first book felt honest and original. The second has felt wooden and now tires me rather than energizes.

After a while one is aware that the easy explanations for one's moods are no longer valid, that there are deeper root causes. As the song goes, sometimes it's hard to face reality, especially when the trouble is as plain as the stitches on your face. (I was in a car accident this past year.) For me, the trouble was Richard Allen Garston. I don't know how this thing got such a strong hold on me.

Unable to make progress in my second novel, I discarded it and began doing research for a short story, something I was confident I could finish quickly, but this, too, fell to the wayside. This was about the time I had begun attending the writer's group. My sterility had become almost oppressive.
CONTINUED NEXT WEEK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are your Short stories, being written as we read them? or are they something out of your archives.....that your only Posting now? Just curious.
now you got me clifthanging...............

Ed Newman said...

A lot of them are from my archives, written in the 80s and 90s. Some are new, though.
Thanks for asking.
e.

Popular Posts