Sunday, May 18, 2008

Celebrating Existence

We are here. For a short period of time we pass through the material world. It is up to us where we go, what we do.

One way I celebrate life is to create. The creative process has many facets. One facet is the element of emergence. Emergence might occur while you are actively doing, or it may happen when you have stopped doing. I can begin a drawing without knowing where it will go, but all throughout I am pensively watching to see when the real idea will emerge.

Many times, the idea will emerge at the moment of waking, as if the subconscious has been waiting for me to awaken so it can upload the new ideas it has processed during the night. Occasionally the upload of an idea is accompanied by a great adrenaline rush, and I am projected into the new day.

My lists grow in reaction to inputs from both without and within. Bills that need to be paid, poetry that needs expression, and doodles that long to feel significant.

At the end of each day, most of us have left a few more fingerprints on the world that surrounds us. A creative way of saying thank you, an original way of giving encouragement, an unusual anecdote that splashes a new insight into the minds of its hearers… these are all ways in which we can add sunshine to the dreary world and leave our personal marks in time.

Ultimately, for me, there are simply too many projects, too many ideas, and not enough time, but I’m doing the best I can. I hope you are, too, creating and celebrating existence.

Isn’t it wonderful?

No comments:

Popular Posts