Wednesday, April 9, 2008

First Signs of Spring

At last, spring is theoretically here. (I say theoretically because the forecast is for another blizzard this weekend.) Yes, I realize the crocuses have already appeared in other parts of the country, and that further south the blossoms have burst open on the trees. Up North, we're less fortunate, must always wait a little longer.
Fortunately the first two true signs of spring have occurred. This weekend Susie saw a pair of robins. And then yesterday I saw an eggplant.

I was walking out to the mailbox to get the morning paper. Off to my right, I heard a rustling in the bushes. At first I didn't see anything, but then -- expecting to see a rabbit -- I saw the eggplant and ran back to the house to grab my camera.

As I neared the place where I spotted him, he slipped out from hiding and went up to the edge of the road where he then stood to look both ways, making sure there were no cars coming. Using my zoom I captured the eggplant standing there, then ran up as he squirmed across the road and slipped up the other bank.

For me it was a very exciting moment. I have never been so near an eggplant in the wild.



The three pictures here will hopefully add to our understanding of why the eggplant crossed the road.

No comments:

Popular Posts